Position Title: Campus Safety Officer
Level of Entry: Staff
Address: 30 N Brainard St
State: IL Zipcode:
1. Provide security services to the college community by enforcing College policies, patrolling campus, and securing assigned areas or buildings.
2. Patrol assigned zones observing campus activity, responding to concerns and deterring criminal activity.
3. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating
an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community.
4. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
5. Escort students and employees around campus and/or to the remote parking lot as requested. Actively patrol campus property and buildings on foot, by vehicle, Segway or bicycle.
6. Maintain key control and/or access to secure and restricted locations. Monitor key card access to academic and residential buildings on campus.
7. Respond to burglar alarms, fire alarms and system trouble alarms.
8. Assist students, employees, and approved guests by unlocking buildings or residence hall rooms as appropriate.
9. Respond to campus situations including disputes, violations of College policy, medical and other emergencies. In cases of illness or injury, provide emergency first aid and/or CPR/AED to ill/injured persons, or assist in the transportation of persons when necessary. Coordinate with the Naperville Police and Fire Department and/or the Residence Life staff in responding to emergencies.
10. Assist with evacuations when fire alarms sound and direct individuals to safe areas in the event of severe weather. Warn campus community when severe weather is likely.
11. Intervene in and document behavior which is inconsistent with College policy or disruptive to the campus community.
12. Complete necessary administrative forms/reports related to campus safety. Provide accurate information and documentation of all information from participants and/or witnesses. Complete a Daily Activity Report and other paperwork as assigned by the Director or Assistant Director.
13. Provide vehicle jump starts to employees and students as needed.
14. Assist Director and/or Assistant Director in conducting investigations or special projects as requested.
15. Provide security services to organizations that rent the use of college property.
16. Appear in DuPage County Court and campus conduct hearings regarding incidents that occur in the college community when necessary.
17. Provide traffic/crowd control during scheduled activities or during emergency situations as necessary.
18. Enforce state, local and college parking rules and regulations. Keep excellent records of all citations and ensure that tickets are properly submitted to be entered into the system for tracking purposes and payment.
19. Apply vehicle immobilization boot per department protocol.
20. Attend regular training including an overview of college and department policies, patrol and lock up procedures, city and state laws, customer service, crisis management, confrontation skills, conflict resolution, report writing, self?defense, parking enforcement, radio communications, safe driving practices, first aid, and working with faculty and staff.
21. Become CPR/AED, First Aid and Narcan trained within 90 days of employment.
22. Attend external training courses, classes, and seminars related to campus safety, which are offered by various agencies and companies to further develop protective service skills and knowledge.
23. Attend monthly staff meetings, quarterly division meetings and established training throughout the year.
24. Assist, as directed, in the hiring and training of new campus safety staff. Provide guidance and direction to student officers working within Campus Safety, as necessary.
25. Be approachable, attentive and responsive to requests for basic information and directions given to students, faculty, administration, staff and/or the general public.
26. Maintain positive relations with external law enforcement agencies to obtain or exchange relevant protective service information. Assist external law enforcement agencies when requested with issues concerning college students, faculty/staff and/or guests.
27. Fill departmental collateral assignments as assigned by a supervisor, such as monthly assignments concerts, special events, and sporting events.
28. Clean and fuel campus safety vehicle(s).
29. Provide programs and presentations, which promote safety and security to students, faculty, administration and staff. Conduct one program per academic year.
30. Other duties as assigned by the Campus Safety Director or Assistant Directors.
31. Perform other work?related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED.
Complete the College’s basic security training during the first 90 days of employment. Must be able to possess a certification in emergency CPR/AED and First Aid within the first 90 days of employment.
Experience in campus safety in a higher education, prior security, military or law enforcement training or experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are preferred. No record of convictions or moral turpitude.
Ability to apply campus rules and regulations, write and complete timely incident reports accurately, and maintain a detailed security log. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment; a minimum of 21 years of age.
Application Period Begins: 08/01/2021
Application Period Ends: 01/31/2022
Number Positions to be Filled: 1
Yearly Salary: $17.00
(Some agencies may post only their standard hourly rate)
© 2017, BSL Systems Ltd Designed by BSL Systems Ltd